Get Flower Effect

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Arabian Nights... and a survey

A big thank you to you all for the lovely comments on my first try outs at creating, I am sure they are not perfect, but I am learning! I use PSP X at the moment, but I am thinking of getting Photoshop Elements. I would be interested to hear if you can actually do more with Photoshop. If anyone has used both I really would like to hear your thoughts. I know Photoshop CS3 is the best but in this country it is phenomenally expensive! (one day when my ship comes in:))
I have found with PSP that the quality of 3600 x 3600 papers is not 100%, or am I doing something wrong? Can anyone help me? I have made these papers 1200 x 1200(300 dpi) as they quality is still great. Is it the way I save my papers or the way I make them? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Also something else I would like to find out, how many of you resize your papers before scrapping, and how many use the large sizes? How many print out your pages, or do you do them purely for posting in galleries? Please leave me your thoughts in the comments section, these are things I would really like to find out. I know I always resize to 600 x 600 and resize the elements accordingly, as I don't print out my LO's, I love doing the challenges and posting them in my galleries, and they have to be 500 x 500, so resizing is necessary. It is far easier and quicker as far as I am concerned to resize before scrapping (In PSP anyway)

Ok, now that I have written a book, here is my latest venture, Arabian Nights, inspired by an Arabian Nights costume party we went to. It comes in a few parts, as I keep adding to it, so check here in a few days for the next part. I hope you like it, and if you feel anything is not up to scratch, I would love to hear, as it will only help me improve. This is something I really love doing, and have so many ideas, but to actually create them is a matter of trial and error for me at the moment. I hope you don't mind being my guinea pigs:)


LINK REMOVED


16 comments:

Shell said...

Thanks so much! Love the colors & textures.

Bonnie said...

Hi Jen
Thanks for the kit, I hope you get some feedback with your questions, I will ask for you on my blog too if you like. I also hope more people leave comments, I see you have had 30 downloads and only 5 comments.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for everything! Beautifull freebies.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen!! I just found your blog from a mention at "4 Boys and a Mom 2". I visit your sister's blog too. :)

First, let me tell you that I was SO impressed by your layouts that I went all the way back to the beginning of your blog to check out everything you had posted!! :) I was delighted to be able to pick up all three of your freebies - Arabian Nights, To Be Me, and Sherbet Delight! Thank You so much for sharing these beautiful kits!

I saw you questions and, although I can't help you with PSP comparisons (I use Photoshop Elements and really like it), I unzipped Arabian Nights right away to take a look at your papers and elements. The designs are really AWESOME!! I especially like the newspaper torn frame and paper!!!!!! Since you wanted feedback, I would mention that I do my layouts in the large 12" x 12" format and save that large file without merging its layers (so I can go back and make changes later if I want/need to). I then make copies, "flatten" the image to make it just one layer (this also reduces the file size) and then I resize THOSE for posting to galleries etc. I do print out many of my layouts and I really need to start out with the large, high-resolution papers and elements in order to get the quality. (I wonder if your dissatisfaction with 3600 x 3600 quality may have something to do with the settings on your monitor?...or do you have the same problem when you print them out too???). I noticed that the papers in Arabian Nights are about 350 kb each. I find that most papers that designers include in their kits are 3600 x 3600, and around 2 to 3 MB or bigger!! In my experience, it is always best to start with (and save) the highest resolution/dpi possible, as you can always save "down", but you can not save "up" (I hope that makes sense!?!?). I hope this is helpful to you?! I think your work is great.

I also wanted to comment on some other layouts you did...I believe you called them "blended scrap pages" -- Dream, Curiosities, and Explore. WOW...WOW...WOW!!! I LOVE those fantastic artsy creations! I would LOVE to see some tips on how to create something like that! Are the various images from photos you have taken..or a mix of things you have found from different sources on the web or in books??? Well, since this has turned into a novel instead of a comment, I better stop now...LOL!! Have a great day! :)
Barb, from sunny Manitoba, CANADA
friendlypackrat at yahoo dot ca

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome kit. I especially like the unusual color scheme. Can't wait to see what the rest of this kit looks like. By the way, lovely photographs of you and your partner.

Anonymous said...

I volunteer to be one of your guinea pigs...and I will not squeal except in delight!!!
Thank fo these beautiful graphics...;o)

Mollie said...

Jenni, this is one gorgeous kit! I'm practically swooning over the color combination and can't wait to play with it. It's my first visit to your blog and I really enjoyed looking at all your layouts...very creative. Thanks so much for sharing:)

Unknown said...

so lush colors! thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

gorgeous!!!

Daniela said...

Beautiful freebies and beautiful layouts. Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Katka said...

Thank you so much!!! Nice colours and a good idea with the frame from newspapers :-)
K.

Peggie said...

Thank you so much. This is gorgeous.
I love the love birds.

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for taking the time to share your wonderful work with us!!!

Lilja said...

I just found your blog and downloaded all 4 parts of your amazing Arabian Nights kit. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with everybody!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful freebies. You are so talented.

Anonymous said...

Love this kit, thank you!